Monday, March 4, 2013

SOUND THE HORN: My top 5 MMORPG's

Hello everyone today I wanted to run my top 5 favorite MMORPG's or Massively Mulitplayer Online Role-playing Games by you and why I like them. I think the biggest appeal is the ability to take on a character that you would like to be, sort of like and online D&D feeling and the bonus is you can play with your friends no matter where they are in the world. We ride!

5. Final Fantasy XIV Online

Final Fantasy XIV Online was squares second attempt to take the final fantasy franchise online and this one is in my opinion the better of the two. Its world was rich and alive and seemed a lot more like the final fantasy settings that most of the fans loved while at the same time introducing new elements. The game however was not recieved well by the masses and though I enjoyed it, it fines a low number on my list due to the fact that my core group of friends just were not interested in playing it. Oh well, can't win em all. The game is currently set for a reboot titled "A Realm Reborn" Here's to hoping.

4.Lord of the Rings Online

Lord of the Rings Online was a really fun game, it had everything a fan of the series could want: Hobbits, wizards, rings of power, evil trying to harm you at every turn, as well as opportunities to interact with the characters from the stories. You could adventure and quest you could even farm your own pipe weed that would have different smoking animations when used it was a BLAST...at first...unfortunately this all gets kind of boring after awhile. The quests are repetitive and if you don't have a full group some of them are damn near impossible. The one really fun thing I did enjoy was role-playing at the inns. this is were you would talk and behave as if you were that character. This however was not enough to keep there long term. I would also like to note the housing system where you can your friends could buy houses on the same street and decorate them however you saw fit! while this was really cool and even added an element to the game of going questing just to decorate your house with swag, the brutal housing costs made it hard to keep your house unless you were more then just a casual gamer. If you are interested though the game as gone free to play which means it doesnt cost anything to download and there is no monthly subscription fee unless you want "Premium content."

3.World of Warcraft

What can I say about this game? Its the big daddy, the MMO by which all others are measured which has caused a slew of copycats that could never seem to recapture the magic. "So Chace, why isnt this game number one on your list?" you might ask. Well here's the thing. I have such fond memories of this game, my brother Nick, (getgib.blogspot.com)our cousins and I played this game with such joy it was awesome to get together start a guild and conquer the world of Azeroth together. Late night Lan parties and all nighters (sometimes all weekenders) it truly created some of my fondest memories because it brought us closer together. Now that being said WOW is expensive and it has a subscription fee and the game devolves into a never endng grind of constant raiding so you could get gear...to do more raiding. The sense of adventure was gone for me and while I stuck around for the first 3 expansions I knew it was time for me to hang up my helmet when the decided to go Kung fo panda. From what I understand the game is free to play now with some limitations if you interested i would definitely recommend checking it out as it was a very ground breaking game.

2. Guild Wars 2

This game is awesome and is the one I am currently playing. Once again we have a game which has a special place in my heart because the first Guild Wars was the first MMO I played with my Bro and cousins we loved that game and we love this one. The world is fresh and the story is compeling giving every player their own personal story to play through as the game progresses while introducing a fully voice acted world which is truly impressive. The combat system is a blast and so far I haven't gotten bored at all with it, the only draw back these days is finding time to play together lol. One of my favorite aspects of the guild wars series is that once you buy the game there is not monthly fee!

1. Age of Conan

If you don't know by now, yes I love Conan the Barbarian so when this game was announced I proceeded to immediately cum in my pants. This game is the shit I cant say it enough, and although I might be biased enough of my friends have told me they liked for me to know its not just me. First things first, this game is very adult oriented as any true Conan game should be, they get the world spot on staying true to the stories of Robert E. Howard and immersing the player into the Hyborian Age. The characters look amazing, the landscapes are  beautiful and the combat system is one of the most innovative Ive ever seen in any game allowing you to perform fatalities that other players can witness as well. The Lore and stories are amazing as they have the rich history of the Conan stories to work from. In the game you play in a world where Conan is the king of Aquilonia the capital city in the world. and are carving out your own legend. The only real problem I had with this game was that it is very graphic heavy and you need a fairly good rig to even pretend you can run it. While this was not an issue for me, a lot of my friends and family could not run it so i often found myself playing alone and while the game is very solo-able there were times I wish I could play it with other people.
This game is also now free to play for the basic game, if your PC can handle it, you'd have to be crazy not to try it.

Until next time boys and girls, don't forget turn in those quests.




No comments:

Post a Comment